Thursday, January 24, 2008

Plans are pointless. Staying alive is as good as it gets. - Selena, 28 days later

I have one nightmare that has haunted my entire life, and trust me - i remember dreams as young as 4. I have smaller dreams that scare me; claustrophobic bathroom stalls, being barefeet, and the typical being chased and no matter where you hide, how fast you run, you're always caught.
But my number one nightmare, theme is apocalypse/Armageddon dreams. My first one ever, was based off of Gone With The Wind, because of a war we were invaded- houses in flames, riots in the street, family missing. And I know, it isn't the end of the world, but it is the end of my world.

Now, atleast once a week, I have dreams about plagues, zombies or aliens coming to earth and destroying 99% of the population. Alien dreams are the least common, I never see the creature just know they are there and i've got to get the fuck away; hide, hide, hide. My zombie dreams only take place before I actually see the zombies.
My plague dreams are the most common, usually once a week I either trying to get out of the city and into the country before it spreads, OR I am one of the 1% of humans that survived the virus and am just trying to get by. These dreams are very vivid, very realistic, and very scary. I blame it on the fact that I really enjoy movies and novels about plagues/zombies. Ex: Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, I Am Legend are my favorites. But my dreams started to get really fucking vivid after reading The Stand, by Stephen King, asshole.

I also have a confession, I would absolutely love to live in NYC, but part of the thing that is holding me back is... where do all the good disaster/plague/monster/chaos movies take place in? NYC, Manhattan Why? It's pretty much an Island, with very shitty entrance and exits. There are 1,500,000 people squeezed into this space and imagine them all trying to escape at once. Picture yourself amongst the thousands of people running through the darkness of the mile long Lincoln Tunnel with crazies doing anything possible to get themselves out first. What if you were halfway through the tunnel and THAT is when the plague spread?! ( when i was in NYC this year, going through this tunnel, this is all i could think about ) Or, when you finally got to the end of the tunnel, the government had created a barricade to quarantine you?
Fuck New York.

I had a few nightmares last night, due to seeing Cloverfield. I liked it, a lot actually. It was intense. But, I get motion sick very easily, and I was dizzy and sick almost the entire movie and had to close my eyes at parts. But it finalized my decision to never live in Manhattan.
Josh found the dharma initiative, pearl station, logo at the very beginning of the movie. And the twist at the end. He's a nerd, and I'm a bit jealous.
But seriously, the movie was half it's greatness because it was in NYC. The monster was very wise when choosing it's location.

I hope they don't make a sequel, and if they do, it better not be like Godzilla sequels.

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

I have dreams like this too sometimes. My dreams tend to be like an adventure with some kind of goal/mission and monsters chasing me. I watched 28 Weeks Later, and it obviously wasn't as good as the first but still freaky. It took place on a more national level. Idiots went back to live there after they still weren't sure of what the virus was and the American army had taken over. The dad from Angela's Ashes was in it :(