Thursday, January 10, 2008

and i'm hear to remind you of the mess you made when you went away - alanis morissette

I've been working my little ass off, to pay off my laptop, and to save for aus.
I kept putting off, and off, my resignation? Finally I left a note under my boss's door to tell him I was leaving. I came in for my shift 30 minutes early to chat. I had two outcomes in my head, and the reality was neither of them. He was shocked, pushed to the back of his chair with his mouth open ' wow!... wow, really? wooowww'. I explained my reasoning for going to Australia, by myself, at age 18, and he seemed to be really happy. He said ' i'm glad you're going there and getting that great experience, but sad you'll be leaving here,' and i think that was the best thing he could have said.
Word, and gossip, gets around like lighting at work and everyone was coming in for their shifts shouting and asking questions, almost everyone's second question was ' what about your boyfriend?' and then followed by an 'awww'. haha.
I started work at 4pm, expected to be out at 9 or 10 at the latest. Well, I had forget it was the dreaded college night ( fuuuck ). I was at work until 1 am, freaking ridiculous. I was so angry at one point, it was like i blacked out. Like people became slurring, blurring streaks and the only thing clear were empty dishes; trying to seem busy. The tips were insanely cheap, and I thought at one point i was going to snap and just come down on these obnoxious, slutty college kids ( yes i'm aware im young too )

I have three days off in a row. It was wednesday afternoon and i had two choices: a) stay home and watch lost until friday, no money ooooorrr b) go to toronto with Josh to stay with Adam for a night, have fun, spend a little money. I kept putting off the decision, and then last minute we decided plan b would be the best.
The drive there was fantastic, it was like a beautiful dream. As you creep down the 401, the part beside the airport, the distance is like an incredible lightshow. I slowly descended into a coma. Matt Good came on the radio, and i felt, i really became an acoustic guitar, by body felt hollow- i could feel the vibrations off of the strings. I wrote lines in my head because it's all I could do to keep myself from floating away. Fireflies thread on fishing line, hung from the velvet ceiling like garland. Soaring across the pavement like we were being pulled, like we couldnt help it. Like the stars were so close, you could feel their radiance. Then we were out of the universe, and back on the cold lonely highway with the rest of the world.

Adams house was in a maze of typical, but full-of-character houses. It reminded me of a secret garden. He gave us a quick tour and it was surprisingly big for Toronto, and for the price of rent. And something i could definitely get used to; wine in almost every room. Free, delicious wine, for that matter. We popped some in adams bag, and hit the pavement for the subway ( which i have a small fear of by the way ). Don't worry, we made it out alive with a little whiplash. I had my hand in my pocket, and on my wallet holding my measley 80 dollars, very tight - i'm so paranoid. Like adam said ' you couldn't last a day in Toronto'.
Slashing some corners, and down dim streets we did a little shopping at the LCBO. While in there, I looked around and saw artsy, indie typed people all around and thought it was strange. Got outside and realized it's because they're all part of ProjectProject, just like Adam, and just like where we were heading. PP is on Wednesdays night, and a group of actors or whoever, go up and do real, hilarious improv on stage. Adam had been hyping it up for me for quite a while and i was really excited to experience this improv community he has been adopted into.
Immediately when we walked in, i was thrust into something alien to me ; rolling a dice to determine the price you pay. I loved it, i thought it adorable. It was double the size i imagined, full of life and more people than I expected also. It seemed like everyone was smiling, with either wine or beer in hand. The group was very friendly, and every one adam introduced us to took the time to say hey and exchange names.
Cats hoarded the mash of chairs and couches, and only opened one eye if you tried say 'go'. It was amazing how comfortable and at ease i was so quickly.
We had a beer, purchased conveniently at the LCBO, before the set and got settled in our seats with conversation and jokes.
I really didn't know what it was going to be like. I'm used to 'improv' on Whos Line Is It Anyway? ( which is apparently crap compared to real shit) and warm-ups in class.
The start of the first skit was slow, with little chuckles and 'aw's. Then they started another one and gradually the laughs grew louder and in sync. We cracked open the wine and took turns drinking, a rhythmic motion of swigs and passes. I haven't been seens something so enjoyable and funny in a while. During break I got up to go to the bathroom and it hit me how drunk I actually was. We hadnt eaten all day, and had just drank a bottle of wine between me and Josh, Adam had half a bottle in minutes ( it seemed ).
The break was over and we got snuggled back in our spots, ready to laugh again. Now, instead of being smart and stop drinking, i just kept the motion going; pass, pass, swig. I knew what i was doing would come back to bite me in the ass, but it was so good. Near the end of the set, it hit me. That moment you know you're fucked, when you're spinning. I was fighting it so hard, i was so confident I could get over this with willpower.And I did. I focused, I bit my lip, and i tried my best to hear what they were saying on stage.
Then the set ended, and I knew i had to get outside. I stood outside willing myself not to get sick and embaress myself as the girl who couldnt hold her booze. I cursed myself because i knew i should have eaten something and not dranken so much.
I managed to will myself to health and some-what soberness. We popped back in the venue to say goodbye to the few stragglers still there. We talked to this guy louis who was hilarious, he was pretty drunk and really funny. I don't remember all of it, but assuming Two Liner was having their last show because a band member had died. Raving about Adam's set, and my firm handshake ( i aint messing around). We chatted a bit more with otherpeople, and then went in search of food.
Josh swore he saw a Mr.Sub, but i wasn't fully trusting him in his also drunken state. It was there, and when we got inside, of course, a cop was there. I remember giving a 'hey hows it goin' grin and nod and taking my order while trying my best to sound sober. Food was amazing, i don't really remember eating it, just how amazing it made me feel afterwards.
Cabbed to this bar/grill called Hurricanes for a few beers and some karaoke. I met Alana, the girl adam has been seeing off and on. She was really charismatic and neater than i expected ( no offense adam), maybe half of it is because she was wearing a dress I almost purchased. Her and another girl sang You Oughta Know, and it was knee-slapping hilarious. We finished our beers around last call, and caught another taxi.
Got to adams house and crashed on the couch with scrubs, a great touch to a great night.
I woke up, early, to adam cooking some sort of mystery/bargain meat, head pounding, and not in the mood for..anything. I tried to eat some toast and decided it best to go back to bed.
Dragged my ass to adams bed and was in a coma for 3 hours. When i woke up, i felt good as new.

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

Sounds like you had fun! We should get drunk before you go :)