Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Avoid the world, it's just a lot of dust and drag and means nothing in the end. Jack Kerouac

( Great Ocean Road or "surf coast highway" on the South Eastern Coast)
February 3rd I'm leaving for Australia.



I'm so anxious, but at the same time i have all these fears- mostly about the airport and getting lost or loosing my luggage and a million other things.
I handed in my application yesterday and I already have all the paperwork, through e-mail, that i'm dreading filling out. It's all so exciting and the more i get done, the more final it all feels.
I'm going when its the end of summer, all of fall, and a little bit of winter.
I've been doing some research about spiders there ( I have a strong case of a arachnophobia ), they're huge and e v e r y w h e r e, many are very poisonous. Look at the description of a Sydney-Funnel-Web Spider
Venom toxicity - the Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is one of the world's most deadly spiders. Both the male and female carry atraxotoxin, one of the world's most dangerous toxins. The Blue Mountains Funnel-Web and Northern Tree Funnel-Web Spiders are also highly venomous.
Danger time - the mature male funnel-web spider will wander around during hot humid nights, looking for a mate, and is known to enter homes, footwear, clothing, washing and swimming pools where they can survive several days under water. It is highly aggressive when disturbed or cornered and is able to inflict multiple bites, with its "flick-knife" hardened fangs. People also find funnel-web spiders wandering around the garden or in the home after heavy rain or nearby earthworks. An anti-venom is available in most major hospitals and ambulance vehicles.
Area of distribution - the Sydney Funnel-Web Spider is a ground dweller in moist soil areas along much of the eastern coastal area of New South Wales and Victoria.

What's even worse....google what that looks like!!!
I'm buying boots and wearing them all the time.... The other spiders sound horrible too. I'll have to suck it up.

Looking at Hostels, I have this image of just a tiny room with a bunk thrown in suck in my mind as what a Hostel is. But the ones I've been looking at online almost seem like hotels, but less than half the price, with some meals included.

I've still got 6 weeks to go, so I should try and distract myself with other things or else I'll go insane:)

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

I guess the scenery makes up for all the spiders. Which city are you living in again? I forget. What will the weather be like in the fall and winter?

That's almost a month away! I'm going to miss you :(